We’re all busy compiling lists of our favourite songs for 2016. No doubt they’ll all differ, as it’s a dull old world when we all agree. Is Sergey from Russia going to be everyone’s No.1 song, or is it over-rated? Will Serhat from San Marino and his re-arranged song make it to the final, or prop up the board? Will we get that surprise winner? These are all questions that, well, I’ve asked.
So when a name famous as the grandest of Grand Dames of Eurovisions picks her top 20, it’s time to sit up and take notice. Lys Assia – born Rosa-Mina Schärer – may have turned 92 last month, but she still has a good ear for music. Or does she?
So, you may ask, what is Lys’s favourite 2016 tune?
- Malta – Ira Losco – Walk on water
And what else makes up her top 20?
- Macedonia – Kaliopi – Dona
- France – Amir Hadad – J’ai cherche
- Serbia – Sanja Vučić ZAA – Goodbye (shelter)
- Russia – Sergey Lazarev – You are the only one
- Austria – Zoë- Loin d’ici
- Italy – Francesca Michielin – No degree of separation
- Bosnia & Herzegovina – Dalal/Deen/Ana Rucner/Jalal – Ljubav je
- Czech Republic – Gabriela Gunciková – I stand
- Netherlands – Douwe Bob – Slow down
- Australia – Dami Im – Sound of silence
- Ukraine – Jamala – 1944
- Switzerland – Rykka – Last of our kind
- Iceland – Greta Salóme – Hear them calling
- Israel – Hovi Star – Made of stars
- Bulgaria – Poli Genova – If love was a crime
- Croatia – Nina Kraljič – Lighthouse
- Poland – Michał Szpak – Colour of your life
- Sweden – Frans – If I were sorry
- Armenia – Iveta Mukuchyan- Love Wave
Do you agree with Lys and her choices? Do you think Malta will make it through the bloodbath of a semi-final and win? Tell us what you think.
Author: John Stanton
Source: Eurovision Ireland