Established in 2009, rock band Minus One have been making waves in Cyprus and beyond with their brand of driving, edgy rock. Now, they are turning their sights on a Eurovision win at Stockholm with their song, ‘Alter Ego’. I don’t know about you, but I REALLY want to get to know these guys a bit better! So without further ado, here are 10 key facts about Minus One.
- They hail from Cyprus: Nicosia, in Cyprus, is the city the band call home. (Are all the men that good looking there? Suddenly, I feel the need to go visit Cyprus!)
- The band have been going since 2009: The five-piece band, composed of vocalist Francois Micheletto, guitarist Harrys Pari, guitarist/ vocalist Constantinos Amerikanos, bassist Antonis Loizides, and drummer Christopher Ioannides (Chris J) have been together since 2009 and are still going strong. That’s 16 years of rockin’ out!
- Why haven’t we heard of them before? After some research, it seems that Minus One have a pseudonym, having formerly played under the name ‘Marianne’s Wish’. As they were a cover band at the time, they changed the name to Minus One when they started writing their own material. A good way to sweep your past ‘Under The Carpet’!
- They’re old-school rockers: The band have been heavily influenced by classic rock bands such as Queen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and others. With a musical education like that, it’s no wonder these guys are graduates of the ‘School of Rock’.
- They have competed for Eurovision before: In 2015, Minus One competed in the Cypriot National Final with ‘Shine’ but were pipped at the post by Giannis Karagiannis. (An utter travesty, In my opinion. I call shenanigans!)
- They like to play naked! Yes, you heard that correctly. Back in December 2015, Minus One played a gig in their home town of Nicosia with only a few strategically-placed instruments to preserve their modesty. (Thank goodness they live in a warm climate. Can you imagine if they lived here?)
- Their lead singer is competing in The Voice: Lead vocalist, Francois Micheletto, competed in the French version of The Voice only last weekend. Why? Because he’s half-French! Will he win? That remains to be seen, but check out his awesome rendition of U2’s ‘With Or Without You’ here:
- Eurovision 2016: Minus One have just unveiled the song they will play to represent Cyprus at Stockholm: ‘Alter Ego’. Being a bit of a rock chick, this hits all the right notes for me with its driving rhythmic drums, masterful guitars and soaring vocal. Douze points from the Eurovision Ireland jury!
- They have a real wolf in their video! Check out the video for Alter Ego, which stars a magnificent wolf. According to Minus One’s blog, he’s called Ares.
- They’re all over social media: Like any savvy rock band these days, Minus One have their own website http://www.minusoneband.com/ but you can also connect with them on Facebook, Twitter (@MinusOneCy), Instagram (MinusOneBand) and YouTube.
Well guys, you have a new fan here at Eurovision Ireland and I suspect that once you hit the Eurovision stage, you will gain plenty more. My only question is this: Will you be wearing clothes? 😉
Author : Jennifer Roche
Source : Eurovision Ireland