Each day, I aim to bring you a couple of highlights and lowlights from this year’s Contest here in Lisbon. What did Day 1 have to offer us?
- It wouldn’t be the first day in the Press Centre without the traumas of actually getting into the building – thankfully we did in time for the start of Azerbaijan’s rehearsals.
- Albania was third on to rehearse and ended up one of the favoured countries of the day. Vocally Eugent was amazing and is the first to truly grab your attention.
- Lithuania is a surprise hit for many, and they will openly admit it too. Ieva certainly gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, while others were brought to tears in a good way.
- Mikolas Josef going to hospital after his rehearsal is a worry to many and something no one expects to happen here at the Eurovision Song Contest. Acrobatics from a lead singer on stage obviously has its risks.
- Israel is clucking mad. If you are a fan of golden pussy cats and backing singers moving about as chickens, then you really need to reevaluate something.
- Belarus is somewhere between the sublime and the ridiculous. A singer, a backing dancer and a red rose in some sort of love triangle. A bow and arrow on stage too – surely breaking the prohibited items list?
Obviously these are just some mere snippets of what has happened today. Remember to check out are #LiveBlog everyday here LIVE from Lisbon throughout the day – where you’ll get some more detail goings-ons.
Author: Richard Taylor
Source: Eurovision Ireland
Categories: Eurovision 2018