The Latvian voting public selected Justs Sirmais and his electro-pop anthem ‘Heartbeat’ to represent their country at Eurovision 2016 in Stockholm. But who exactly is Justs? Well, here’s 10 quick facts to help you get acquainted.
- Justs was born in Kekava, Latvia on February 6 1995, making him a youthful 22 years of age.
- This date puts him in the astrological house of Aquarius. Typical Aquarians are known for their honest, open and imaginative nature. They are creative and excellent communicators. Let’s hope that Justs can communicate a Eurovision victory for his country.
- Justs shares his birthday with a star-studded line up of celebrities, including legendary reggae musician Bob Marley, actor and former US president Ronald Reagan, rocker Axl Rose and 80’s crooner Rick Astley.
4. Justs claims pop, rock, soul r’nb and electronic genres as his musical influences, all of which can be clearly heard in his Eurovision song, ‘Heartbeat’.
5. Heartbeat is a huge hit in Latvia already, having topped the Spotify Viral Top 50 in his home country in February.
6. Has Justs any former album/single releases? Not yet. Heartbeat is his first single, but I suspect that this is just the beginning of this talented young man’s career. Watch this space!
7. Heartbeat was written by former Eurovision participant Aminata Savadogo, who represented Latvia in 2015 with her song, Love Injected.
8. Justs is tipped as a hot favourite in the race for Eurovision victory. If he wins, it will be only the second time Latvia have won the Eurovision. The first being in 2002 with Maria N’s ‘I Wanna’.
9. Justs isn’t just a singer. He’s also a talented musician and can play the guitar.
10. Want to wish him luck? You can connect with Justs on social media at his Facebook page, Twitter (@Justs_Sirmais) or Instagram (@Justs_sirmais)
Author : Jennifer Roche
Source : Eurovision Ireland