Earlier today, it was announced that French singer Amir Haddad would be representing France at Eurovision 2016 in Stockholm. His competing song, ‘J’ai cherche’ is heavily tipped to be a strong contender for a win, which would be their first victory since 1977. Can Amir bring home Eurovision gold? That remains to be seen for now. But in the meantime, let’s get to know him a little better. Here’s ten quick facts about the man of the moment.
- Amir’s a born Parisienne: Laurent Amir Khlifa Khedider Haddad (no wonder he’s shortened his name!) was born in the 12th arrondissement of Paris, but his family then moved to Sarcelles, some way from the city centre.
- He’s a bit crabby: Amir was born on the 2nd of July, putting him in the sign of Cancer (the crab). Cancerians are known for their love and generosity. But be careful, they pinch! 😉
- Other celebs born on 2nd July: Actress Lindsay Lohan, Comedian Peter Kay and Irish boxing champion, Katie Taylor, all share their birthday with Amir.
- He lives in Israel. When Amir was 8 years old, his family emigrated to Israel, where he lives today.
- He’s married. Sorry to disappoint you, ladies. Amir is living very happily with his wife Lital, whom he married in 2014.
- Amir is no stranger to singing competitions. In 2006, he competed in the Israeli version of Pop Idol; Kokhav Nolad then in 2014, he was a competitor on The Voice, France, catching the attention of all four judges straight away in the blind auditions with his rendition of Elton John’s Candle In The Wind. Will he have the same effect on the Eurovision audience? Let’s wait and see.
- He’s a singing dentist! Amir studied dentistry in University and pursues both his passions, medicine and music, with equal passion.
- Amir has already released an album: In 2011, Amir released his first album; Vayehi, which is performed in Hebrew.
- He’s had two hit singles: ‘All of me’, released in 2014, and ‘Oasis’ in 2015 have both had airplay in Israel, France and other countries across Europe.
- Find him on social media: Amir has his own official website (in French); http://amirofficiel.com/ and is active on Twitter, @Amir_Off
Author : Jennifer Roche
Source : Eurovision Ireland