Last Saturday 20th February, Iceland chose the song that will represent their country at Eurovision 2016 in Stockholm. It was the spellbinding ‘Hear Them Calling’ by Greta Salome. This song could be a strong contender for taking first place with its up-tempo beat and singalong chorus. So who is Greta Salome? Here are 10 top facts to help you get to know her better.
- Greta Salome was born November 11th 1986 in Mosfellsbaer, a small town north of Reykjavik. This makes Greta a Scorpio, known for their intense personalities and artistic creativity. Remember, Scorpios have a ‘sting in the tail’ so don’t ruffle her!
- Shares a birthday with actors Leonardo DiCaprio, Demi Moore, Calista Flockhart and fashion designer Richie Rich.
- Greta got into music at an early age and studied the violin from the tender age of four.
- An accomplished musician, Greta plays violin in the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra.
- It’s not surprising to learn that Greta comes from a musical family. Her mother, Kristin Lilliendahl, released some records in her youth and her grandfather, Karl Lilliendahl was a renowned Icelandic guitarist.
- Greta composes her own songs and, in 2008, won a Christmas Song Contest at RUV ‘s Channel Two with a song called ‘Bethlehem’.
- This is Greta’s second time to represent Iceland at Eurovision. Previously in 2012 duetted with Jonsi with ‘Never Forget’. They placed 20th in Baku, Azerbaijan that year. I have a feeling that ‘Hear Them Calling’ will earn a much higher placing in Stockholm this time round.
- After ESC2012, Greta released her first album ‘In The Silence’ in 2012 with the Eurovision entry ‘Never Forget’ on it. Check out the title track below. It’s a stormer!
- Greta likes to travel as well as play music and performed nightly on the Disney Dream cruise liner in 2014. A big crowd-pleasing favourite was her violin rendition of ‘Let It Go’. Being from Iceland, the signature song from ‘Frozen’ was very appropriate!
- Greta is a fitness fanatic and works out daily with cross fit to keep healthy and in shape. So if she wins, she’ll be ready and able to take on the busy lifestyle and packed schedule of a Eurovision winner.
So that’s ‘Greta Salome 101’ for you. If you would like to learn more about this lovely, talented lady, visit her website: www.gretasalome.com or follow her on Twitter: @gretasalome or Facebook.
Author : Jennifer Roche
Source : Euovision Ireland