On Sunday 19th December, the 2021 Junior Eurovision Song Contest attracted 33,000,000 viewers. The show also attracted its highest average viewing share since the 2011 Junior Eurovision Song Contest. The European Broadcasting Union have published the following facts:
- 4.5 million unique viewers also watched content around the event, including the Live Show, on the official YouTube Channel.
- An average TV audience of 7.5 million saw the 2021 competition which saw 19 countries take to the stage of La Seine Musicale in Paris in a spectacular Christmas-themed show hosted by France Télévisions.
- The hosts delivered the second largest audience with 1.6 million tuning in to France 2. A year-on-year increase of 400,000 viewers.
- Poland saw the biggest average TV audience for a third year in a row as 2.8 million watched their act Sara James finish 2nd in the competition. JESC 2021 attracted 4 times as many viewers than usual in the same slot to the 3 TVP channels it aired on.
- Overall, 11 out 14 markets recorded saw larger audiences than are normally received by their broadcaster in that slot.
- In the winning country, Armenia, on average 43% of all TV viewers watched JESC 2021 on AMPTV who will host the 20th Eurovision Song Contest later this year.
- Iceland, who didn’t take part but aired the competition for the first time, recorded a share of 96%!
Author: Richard Taylor