RTVE, the Spanish national broadcaster, have opened the submission window for Benidorm Fest, their national selection for the 2023 Eurovision Song Contest, in the United Kingdom.
Today, Thursday 1st September, RTVE have opened the submission period for Benidorm Fest 2023. Applicants have until Wednesday 12th October to submit their entries. Sixteen acts will make the festival, while RTVE will choose a further six in reserve, in case of any withdrawals. An extract of the rules can be seen below:
- Solo artists must be Spanish citizens or permanent residents.
- In the case of groups, at least 50% of the group must be based in Spain.
- At least one songwriter must be based in Spain.
- Songs must be in at least one of the co-official languages of Spain (Spanish, Catalan, Basque or Galician) but up to 40% of the lyrics can be in another language.
- Songs can be submitted without a specific artist performing the song.
- RTVE will also invite established singers and songwriters to submit entries for the selection.
Author: Richard Taylor