SVT, the Swedish national broadcaster, have announced when the submission period for Melodifestivalen 2023 will be open.
Submissions open on Friday 26th August and will close on Friday 16th September. The winner of Melodifestivalen 2023 will go on to represent Sweden at the 2023 Eurovision Song Contest. While the rules can be seen in full HERE, a selection can be seen below:
- Swedish citizens and residents (as of August 26 2022) may take part in the contest as lyricists and/or composers, with the exception of anyone who is an employee or contractor for SVT.
- Non-Swedish citizens/residents may also take part provided that at least one composer/lyricist of the entry is a Swedish citizen/resident.
- Of the 28 selected entries, 10 will be Swedish-language songs. A song can be entered multiple times if it has lyrics in different languages.
- At least 50% of the selected entries will feature women as composers/lyricists.
- Songs must be between 2 and 3 minutes in length and must comply with Eurovision rules.
- The names of the selected entries and composers will be revealed in November-December 2022.
- Up to 8 people can be on stage for a performance. If the song is selected for Eurovision, only 6 people can be on stage.
Author: Richard Taylor